Cardiff Bay Cardiff Bay Sophia Gardens Sophia Gardens Hailey Park Tongwynlais Tongwynlais Taffs Well Treforest Abercynon Abercynon Quakers Yard Pont y Gwaith Aberfan Abercanaid Garwnant Brecon
Taffs Well
Hailey Park Tongwynlais
Quakers Yard Pont y Gwaith
Taffs Well
Hailey Park Pontypridd Pontypridd Cilfynydd
Sophia Gardens
Cefn Coed Viaduct
Pentrebach Merthyr Tydfil
Castell Coch Nantgarw
Talybont Reservoir Talybont on Usk
Cilfynydd Pontsarn Pontsticill Reservoir
Pontsarn Pontsticill Reservoir


From Cefn Coed Viaduct to Pontsarn

(approx 1.6 miles 2.5km)

From the end of the viaduct the path joins minor roads and car parks before reaching the main road in Cefn Coed y Cummer. Although the by-pass now take most of the traffic care is still needed across this road to New Church Street opposite.

Up to the church then into the path, bridge over the Heads of the Valleys road to join the for Taf Fechan mineral railway.

This section becomes progressively more rural as we notice the transition to the Brecon Beacons. It ends abruptly turning onto a tarmac lane under a bridge, then climb past water treatment works to the Ponsticill Reservoir.


Pontsarn is situated on the Taff Trail between Cefn Coed y Cymmer and Ponsticill and has several points of interest.

Pontsarn Inn was built as a station Master`s house in the mid 19th century to serve the Brecon to Merthyr line.
The building later served as a post office, shop and an inn, providing refreshment for miners and their families
enjoying their Sunday School trips to the countryside.
(From a plaque placed by the Merthyr Tydfil Heritage Trust)

Pontsarn Station.
The platform is still there, where parties of sightseers and Sunday School outings used to arrive by train a hundred years ago.

Under the arch of the road bridge at Pontsarn, the Taff Trail crosses the viaduct which is 92ft high by 455 ft long. Beyond are the limestone cliffs of the Morlais Quarry. The Viaduct was built in 1866 as part of the Taff Fechan Mineral Railway which was subsequently utilised by the Brecon and Merthyr Railway.

Brecon and Merthyr Railway Line. The first through train
came on 8th August 1868. Increasing to 21 trains a day by 1873. It was closed in 1963.


Bridge over Trail at Pontsarn Station
Bridge over Trail

Pontsarn Inn
Pontsarn Inn

Wooden Bridge carrying Trail over road near Pontsarn
Wooden Bridge

From above
From above

Pontsarn Station

This is a drawing of children waiting for the train home at Pontsarn Station after a Sunday School outing in Victorian times.
Victorian Pontsarn

Notice the platform, arched bridge and viaduct beyond the bridge can still be seen.

Photographs of the working station and trains on the Pontsarn Viaduct.

Penrhadw Farm and Country Cottages, Pontsticill

Maps covering the Taff Trail

This OS Explorer Map 12 covers the Northern part of the Taff Trail in the Brecon Beacons. For the Southern part, the Landranger series are the more up-to-date.

Heads of the Valleys Bridge

View of Merthyr Tydfil and Heads of the Valleys from the Taff Trail
Heads of the Valleys